Managing high-performance virtual teams remotely is becoming a trend. With the evolution of technology, better access to information & resources, face-to-face work environments are no longer a prerequisite for organisational success.
With COVID-19 and lockdown being implemented in many countries around the world, Managers now find themselves suddenly managing a completely remote team.
Below are a few tips compiled by Dalitso Holdings how to manage a
virtual team successfully:
- have a daily check-in with your team preferable via video. Your team needs to see you and vis-a-vis.
- Communicate a lot and be in regular contact with your team using quick video & visual communication.
- Make use of technology to stay connected using tools such as Dalitso Smartz, or Microsoft Teams are far better suited for collaboration.
- Track hours worked, attendance and other measures of productivity. develop a proper action plan to monitor the performance of all individuals within the team.
- Have regular one – on ones with your team members to discuss their issues.
- Work on team bonding to minimize the sense of loneliness and over isolation that can set in overtime. Try introducing some fun activities tools.
- Track work outcomes rather than activities. Know what the key indicators of each task should be and focus on that.
- Allow a degree of flexible work hours but also keep things consistent. Trust plays a very big role in a virtual team.
- Have a chat room open constantly for team members to keep chats alive but not distracting. The team needs to feel connected.
- Most importantly, resource your team by making sure they have all the technology required to get the job done. As their manager, It’s your responsibility to make sure they have tools such as laptops, the required software, cellphones, wifi connection, etc.
Hopefully, these tips will help you to manage your virtual team successfully whilst also creating a feeling that the team is not just working separately but as part of a team and the entire organisation as a whole.